|Voina Wanted banner of imprisoned art activist Oleg Vorotnikov (Vor) unfurled on Charles Bridge in Prague Photograph by Yana Sarna|
|Czech artists join Voina to protest repression of Russian dissident artists on Charles Bridge, Prague Photograph by Yana Sarna|
|Voina Wanted unfurled on Charles Bridge, Prague Photograph by Yana Sarna|
Oleg Vorotnikov (Vor) adorning the Palace of Justice in Brussels
[Photo - Brad Downey with the help of Matthias Hübner and Yann Leguay, Voina Group activists. Initiator of the action - Alexei Plutser-Sarno , Voina Group media-artist. Portrait of Oleg Vorotnikov in the courtroom by Vladimir Telegin.]
|This is what you might run into walking in our mountains, an ancient olive tree. Do you see the strong, handsome if not grotesque face in the tree? (Photograph by Stefan van Drake 2007).|
Actions of VOINA
- Action “Dick captured by KGB”. 14 June 2010. This acton had been made to assert the power of unconquerable Russian phallus. Video, Photo , Copie of deleted reportage
- Action “Crazy Lenya is our President!” 22 May 2010. Action with demand to deprive cars with special blue signal flashers of rights to break the regulations of road traffic roughly. Video, Reportage with word of Lenya, Photо
- Action “Concert in courtroom”. 29 May 2009. Action with demand to stop criminal prosecution of Andrey Erofeev and Jury Samodurov and to stop all criminal cases against Russian art-community, initiated by right-wing radicals. Reportage, Video, Photo
- Action “Banning of clubs”. 28 December 2008. New Year`s gift of group to all Russians. Reportage, Video, Photo
- Action “Storm of White House”. 7 November 2008. This action in anniversary of Great October Revolution. Reportage, Video, Photo
- Action “In memory of Decembrists”. 7 September 2008. Dramatized “execution” in city holiday of Moscow. Action expressed distrust to Yury Luzhkov`s policy. Reportage, Video, Photо
- Action “Censorship SUX”. 22 May 2008. Action in defense of social art, the main school in contemporary art. Reportage, Video, Photo
- Action “Upbringing of cop in his house”. Action-congratulation of president in day of inauguration. Group had been hanging portraits of new president in police departments. Video, 1 part, Video, 2 part, Photo, Reportage
- Action “F*ck for the heir – Medved`s little Bear!” 29 February 2008. “Magical” action. Video, Reportage, Photo
- Action “Monument to Prigov”. 28 November 2007. Action in Central House of Artist, dedicated to the late D.A. Prigov. Video, Photo
- Action “Feast”. 24 August 2007. Funeral feast in memory of D.A. Prigov. Video
- Action “Mordovian Hour”. 1 May 2007. Action-congratulation of all working people with May Day. Also action went off in token of animal protection. Photo
Goals and objectives of the Art-Group Voina in the period 2008-2010
- Rebirth of heroical behavioral ideals of an artist-intellectual, in a manner of Russian libertarian decemberism. Creation of image of artist as romantic hero, who prevail over the evil. Creation of lively romantic models in today`s soulless commercial conceptual art.
- Rebirth of lively expressive art, which is sincere and honest and provoking observers` deep emotional experience. Actualization of monumental expressive genres, where large scale harmonizes with totally rich in content orientation, in contrast to outdated hypertrophy of forms, which deovid of sense.
- Creation of innovative topical art-language, which is producing for pure art, but not for a money. It is mean language, which is adequate for today’s cultural and socio-political context, which is can show actual of the new epoch, which have no analogues in the past. Creation of Russian national actual art, without outmodedness and provinciality, and which provokes admiration of intellectuals all over the world.
- Rebirth of Russian laughing culture, traditions of absurdity and sarcasm in context of high art, that is Rebirth of lively merriment in the art-spaces. Creation of political street-art in Russia in the best traditions of skomorokh and carnival middle-age art.
- Conceptual destruction of glamour timeserving and conformist Russian art-market, which is reproducing outdated forms of art, artificially falsifying processes of pricing of art-market and creating financial pyramid from devalued art-junk.
- Creating of real left front of art in Russia in traditions of futurism of 1920 years, which is radically shift all ideological poles by the facts of its being. Rebirth of political protest art all over the world.
- War with “werewolfes in straps” for the freedom of contemporary art. War with socio-political obscurantism and ultra-right reaction for the triumph of nano-modernization in Russia. Subversion and destruction of outdated repressive-patriarchal socio-political symbols and ideologies. Art-war against all global world for total triumph of justice in Art-Area.
Yulia Tikhonova. ‘Voina in a Company of Pranksters’
Yulia Tikhonova. ‘Innovation Prize, Moscow 2011’
For a longer list of publications see here: